Sunday, July 1, 2012
There will always be certain items in a restoration that you just can't get. In those cases, you try to find something that will perform a function, it not fitting the car exactly. This is how I handled replacing the hoses that join the master cylinder to the brake fluid reservoir. As it turns out, brake fluid does not like rubber, or many other hose mediums. After doing some research, and visiting a few parts houses, I ended up at Willamette Hose in Tangent, OR. They had a chemical spray hose that had the 3/8" inside diameter I needed, and it had a plastic chemical resistant lining. They said they wouldn't sell it to me, but I could have it, if I took all they had. Not much of a seller, apparently. I took it, and soaked it in brake fluid for several weeks, to make sure it wouldn't degrade over time. Since the lining seemed to hold up fine, I installed it, and went on my merry way. The thing about the plastic lining, is that it doesn't make the best seal under a hose clamp. I was getting a very slight leak at each of the clamps, and it never really looked right. Fast-forward to my discovery of Honda600carparts.com. While perusing the brake portion of the sight, I noticed they are carrying the very hose I couldn't find earlier. The hose is an ether-based polyurethane with open-mesh polyester braiding incorporated within its wall. I can't believe they didn't have it on the shelf at NAPA. I put it on today, and am quite pleased with the result!