After MUCH daydreaming and anticipation, Matilda's paint job is complete! The fine craftsmen at McClinton Auto Body did a fantastic job. It was so nice to not only be taken seriously, but for them to take such pride in doing a show-quality job. It got to where every time my phone chimed, I was hoping for an email from the shop. The key to getting a good job, other than picking the right shop, is to give them the time they need to do a good job, and don't quibble about price.
We brought her home the day we got back from vacation. As this is winter in The Northwest, it was getting dark around 4:30, and it was raining. I had to decide between putting on enough equipment to make her street legal, and just enough to be safe with the impending darkness. So we hit the road with headlights, and tail lights, but no side-markers, license plates, windshield wipers or top. After a nerve-racking drive, we got her safely back into the garage. I was able to start making reassembly progress almost immediately, by sticking the Honda badging back on in the appropriate places. I've gotten a few full days in on the rebuilding process, and have managed to install the radio antenna, side-markers, rear license plate holder and mud flaps. I got the window frame installed in the passenger door, but am having an issue with the door closing properly with the weather-stripping in place. This is odd, since the Driver's door is closing fine, but I'll figure it out. It's so exciting making progress, it makes it hard to go back to work, but I guess I need to fund this project somehow.
Next on the agenda, will be sound-deadening. I'm going to line the interior with a layer of Dynamat acoustic material, and overlay that with a layer of Dynapad carpet pad. She's also getting a hood liner that should cut some noise. Between a quieter ride, and some windows and seals that should keep out some of that charming exhaust smell, it should be easier to get Carley to ride in her with me!